Immanuel Lutheran Cemetery, Baltimore, Maryland
Immanuel Lutheran Cemetery is located on Grindon Avenue off of Harford Road in the northeastern section of Baltimore City.
In March 1874, a tract of land was purchased on Grindon Avenue near Harford Road to serve as a congregational cemetery. In 1882, a chapel was provided. In 1890, a home for the caretaker was constructed. This congregation, after its organization, grew rapidly, and it resolved to have a cemetery of its own. The present tract, a six-acre farm, was purchased, and was dedicated on June 1, 1874. To finance the proposition, shares of $5 each were sold to members. These shares were redeemable, either in cash or in burial lots. The majority of the members took advantage of the latter offer. Immediate steps were taken to enclose the land with a wood-paling fence. The land was then laid off into burial lots. The brick chapel was then erected and dedicated August 20, 1882. The caretaker's house was built in 1890. Later the present concrete wall was erected on the Grindon Lane side, and the size of the caretaker's house increased. Click here for the website.
The cemetery has 1644 names that were located. While the vast majority of the burials are from the 1900s, there are still a few from the later 1800s as well. This cemetery and church are still active today, and it appears that there is still plenty of empty space available for burials. The small chapel that is located in the center of the cemetery is very close in design to another Lutheran Cemetery that is on the southwestern part of the city, Saint Paul's Lutheran.
The cemetery was read and imaged in June 2003. The database and associated images are the copyrighted work of William E. Wilson, Jr. who generously supplied them to the Allen County Public Library for distribution to individual genealogical researchers.
The database does not store the surname separately from the first name, so you'll have to enter either the first name or surname. If searching for both, enter as Doe, John.